Sunday 18 November 2007

Sunday Scribblings - ... and carry 1...

Jo and Hannah doing homework

(not maths obviously, they look far too happy!)


Sundays. More particularly Sunday evenings. One word to strike fear and horror into the heart of both parents and children alike... HOMEWORK...

Traditional homework doing times in our house when I was a teen were (i) the evening of the day it was dished out if it meant that I could get out of doing the washing up (ii) on the bus on the morning it was due to be handed in (iii) Sunday Evening.

The worst thing about doing my homework on a Sunday Evening was that Dad would be around to "help"... his offer to help was always pretty half-hearted unless it was Maths homework. Is there anything worse in the whole world than your father insisting on helping with Maths homework? My Dad had studied Maths at university for a while and found numbers enlessly fascinating and magical

4 comments:

Beau Brackish said...

Math is a four letter word for many. Your story brings a big smile to my face. I was pretty good at math until algebra came along, then I started to learn many other four letter words! Fun times!

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, you stirred that pot that holds my homework memories! Nicely told!

Jo said...

Both of us on the same page today! How I hated my mutated maths Dad!

Anonymous said...

My dad was pretty happy about my math skills. Thanks to him, I teach math to high school students.

But my physics was not what he desired it to be. I remember memorable times studying with him.