Thursday 15 November 2007

Three Word Wednesday

Out on an icy Boxing Day walk through the woods with Holly (age 10 at the time) and Hannah (age 8) I thought it would be a good time to give my counselling skills a bit of an outing and find out how they were coping with their little sister's illness, impending teenageness, and life in generalness. "Fine." said Hannah and skipped off into the distance to look for interesting things to look at under her magnifying glass. "Oh, Okay." sighed Holly. This was a bit more promising! I put my arm around her as we walked and spoke wisely and empathetically of how difficult it could be when you weren't sure about things and sometimes it might be that it wasn't something you wanted to speak to your Mummy and Daddy about but if she had anything she wanted to talk about, she could talk to me and I would try and help her. It was a beautiful aunt/niece moment (well I was moved anyway). As she shuffled through the fallen leaves and I gently asked her "Is there anything you're worried about or want to ask me about just now darling?" there was a pause, then "As a matter of fact Aunty Les, there is something I've been wondering about..." Yes! I braced myself as she gathered her train of thought "... what is an Endowment Mortgage Shortfall?"

What?!?


Those children watch far too much daytime TV.

7 comments:

TC said...

I laughed at the ending. It was all going so well, when... bam!

Still though, I'd guess that question at the end really does tell you a lot about how they're handling everything right now.

Truefaith1963 said...

HAHAHA!! Excellent write - its amazing what kids think about. I was struggling with my son's maths homework the other night (he is 11 so its at my level now!!), and he suddenly said, "Dad, whats a lesbian?"

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, how funny!Just goes to show...! Love this post!

Jujee said...

Haha! Glad I read this first thing in the morning, so funny and uplifting too : )

And great title!

Bone said...

LOL Wow! Great ending, and great lead up to it.

Dom Graham said...

oh i can so empathise with this Blog!! You know what happend last year with my nephew, Jack well i always try to be there for my other nephew, Owen, it always ends the same way. Me feeling touched by this very little persons unbelievable strength. I can see you standing, sarounded by trees, with the look of shock on your face then is quickly changing to a smile. The question is, did you answer her question???? LOL

poefusion said...

So much for the bonding moment, I guess. I got a good laugh at the ending. Nice job.