Wednesday 7 November 2007

Three Word Wednesday


I listen to BBC Radio 4. I love the serendipitous nature of what I learn as I listen. I listen because it's like having engaging company who don't mind in the least leaving when you've had enough of them - music blurs my mind and talk sharpens it.


The Shipping Forecast



Like most of the others who listen tonight I wouldn't know one end of a boat from the other but I lie listening to the radio, night battering on the window to be let in, and I hear the poetry in the names - Viking, North Uitsire, South Uitsire, Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight, Humber, Thames, Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth, Biscay, FitzRoy, Trafalgar, Sole, Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea, Shannon, Rockall, Malin, Hebrides, Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes, South East Iceland. I think of the modern equipment that boats are arrayed with and I wonder - do sailors listen still ? Are huge Tankers changing course because the wind is backing southerly gale force 10? Will fishermen's wives hear and go to the window to watch restlessly for the dawn whilst their son, their brother and their husband are spumed and hurtled by a uncaring sea? Is there a naval Captain taking the watch from his EXO and taking the ship about, away from the harm nature might bring? There are,in all probability, new improved satellite imaging gizmos that tell those who need to know in order to survive what the weather that's coming their way is like. I think the Shipping Forecast is still there because no amount of gadgetry and gimmickry can compensate for the loss of everyday poetry should it go, and those of us who listen whilst safe in our beds or over the Sunday lunch need to hear it as much as those on the sea do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The names do sound like poetry. Sometimes it's wonderful to leave the modern world behind--though in my case I think that's listening to music from the 60's and 70's.

This was an exceptionally beautiful and comforting post

I'm an American Anglophile madly in love with the word whilst

I'm moving and have to get rid of many books. I just realized I can't get rid of my Barbara Pym ones

TC said...

I think it's always challenging to get rid of some of the more old fashioned things, those items with character that have been around a long time and of which we have many memories.

Anonymous said...

We can get rid of most physical things. But how do we get rid of memories?

You post made me think!

Tumblewords: said...

Wow! I loved this post - the words are sublime and the thinking tone of it yields a clue to life's mystery.

Bone said...

I agree with the others. This was a very beautiful post.

There is something comforting about the old ways of doing things to me. Hard to let go. I'd prefer not to.

poefusion said...

Oh Pia! You are the girl. I love listening to the old songs from the 50's, 60's and 'lots' from the 70's.

I agree with everyone. Letting go of the familiar is always hard. But, sometimes it pays off to look in a new direction. I also thought the names were poetic. Nice job.

Have a nice day.

Truefaith1963 said...

Radio 4!!! Yes! I love it - it reminds me of home and of growing up. Over here in Ireland we can only get it on Long Wave on the radio so in the winter its mostly interference - its not the same on the cable, though I guess it will all be digital soon. The shipping forecast, like The Archers, is a solid rock to hold onto in the crazy 21st Century!!

Jo said...

I know exactly what you mean. I loved this post......sorry I only just stopped by, it's been hectic!

Beau Brackish said...

This is a wonderful post. Old traditions remind us of who we are and where we came from, which is all too easy to lose site of in such fast moving, and often cold world.